This is a copy of the handout I use for the basic hand knitting I use for teaching at SCA classes. Please use it, and remember to cite you sources!
INTRODUCTION TO KNITTING
BASIC ABBREVIATIONS FOR KNITTING:
· BO- bind off
· Ch-chain; may be seen as Ch1, Ch2, etc.
· Circ- circular
· Co- cast on
· Dc- double crochet
· Dpn- double-pointed needle(s)
· K2tog- knit 2 (stitches) tog
· M1R- make one right slanting; with the tip of the left hand needle inserted from back to front, lift the strand between the two needles onto the left hand needle; knit through the front loop to increase one stitch
· M1 or M1L- make 1 left slanting; with the tip of the left hand needle inserted from front to back, lift the strand between the 2 needles onto the left hand needle; knit the strand through the back loop to increase one stitch
· P- purl
· P2tog- purl 2 (stitches) together
· Pm- place marker
· Rnd- round
· Rs- right side
· Ws- wrong side
· Ssk- slip, slip, knit- slip the next 2 stitches to the right hand needle one at a time as if to knit; return them back to left hand needle one at a timeto their new orientation; knit them together through the back loops
· St(s)- stitches
· Tog- together
· Yo- yarn over; bring yarn forward (to the purl position), then place it in position to work the next stitch. If the next stitch is to knit, bring yarn over the needle and knit; of next stitch is to be purled, bring yarn over the needle and then forward again to the purl position and purl.
Pot holder/arm warmer pattern
Cast on 44 stitches. Knit until desired length. Bind off. With right side facing, sew side seam, beginning at cast on edge and ending 2 1/2 “ from bound-off edge, leaving a gap of approx 1 ½’ from thumbhole. Rejoin yarn and sew seams to end. Weave in all ends
26 Punk Knits
Hope you enjoy, and keep on Knitting!